We were recently found an interesting channel on Youtube by Project Farm, the channel is very entertaining. Here is the channel description: “Welcome to the channel where we performance test and experiment with all sorts of oil and fuel products, alternative fuels, epoxies and glues, and more”
The channel just completed a head to head “testing” of motor oils to see which ones performed the best. These entertaining experiments showed how oils worked in a variety of tests like cold flow, high temperature volatility, and the famous lubricity tester. I applauded the entertainment value of these tests but where I really wanted my clients to understand these are not ASTM testing protocols. Repeatability is generally needed in order to gain statistical analysis of any valid testing. This would be each oil would need to be tested multiple times with multiple batches and then charted on a graph.
One of the videos that has had over 800,000 views WOW. But my question is this valid testing? Should you choose your motor oil because of some backyard testing?
“Is Royal Purple’s full synthetic 5W-30 motor better than Amsoil’s 100% synthetic 5W-30 motor oil? The testing methods outlined in this video are my own and not performed using expensive oil lab testing equipment or following the ASTM, SAE or API testing standards. The three tests outlined in the video include tests for viscosity at varying temperatures, film strength, and evaporative testing.” ~Project Farm
While we are glad to see that AMSOIL won the overall conclusion and we understand why (due to the real world testing we’re about to provide to you) we wonder what people would have thought if say some other brand would have won?
We want to provide to you another side to the story. Below is an article that appeared in the AMSOIL Dealer magazine in June of 2019.
YOU ASKED FOR MORE PRODUCT TESTING…AND HERE IT IS.
AMSOIL conducted a survey in late 2017, and the results told us emphatically that AMSOIL Dealers need more support defend against competing brands.
The Performance Tests Page on the AMSOIL website is your source for all current test results comparing
AMSOIL products to the competition and the toughest industry standards. The information currently available shows hard data that differentiates AMSOIL products and shows why people should make the switch to AMSOIL. We’ve also published most test results in our catalogs.
The key to understanding why AMSOIL manufactures the highest quality products that are proven time and time again to outperform the competition is through product testing. AMSOIL completes rigorous testing of both the competition as well as AMSOIL products in head to head testing at the mechanical lab located at AMSOIL Inc.
We all know AMSOIL is the best and these testing procedures prove it!
Find all AMSOIL product tests at:
Current AMSOIL Testing as of this posting is as follows:
- Synthetic Dirt Bike Oil Performance Test – AMSOIL delivers confident clutch feel
- SEVERE GEAR Synthetic Gear Lube – For the ultimate cold-weather protection, trust AMSOIL
- Signature Series Max-Duty Diesel Oil Proven Best at Protecting Engines from Rust – Why should you buy AMSOIL Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil
- Diesel fuel All-In-One Performance Test – AMSOIL Diesel All-In-One provides superior protection against cold-temperature gelling
- SABER® Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil Performance Test – equipment using SABER Professional was virtually carbon-free
- DOMINATOR® Competition Diesel Oil Performance Test – Film Thickness Test show DOMINATOR® provides excellent film thickness
- Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil Performance Tests – AMSOIL Heavy-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil provides excellent wear protection and reduces oil consumption
- Signature Series Diesel Oil Performance Tests – AMSOIL Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil delivers more wear protection, keeps turbos clean and protects against rust
- OE Performance Test – OE Synthetic Motor Oil far surpasses the industry-standard in wear protection
- XL Performance Test – Results from the GM Oxidation and Deposit (GMOD) Test show XL Synthetic Motor Oil resists oil breakdown
- AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil Outperforms the Competition – Results from the latest round of testing prove Signature Series leads the pack in engine protection
- Redmax 100:1 Trimmer Technical Study – AMSOIL SABER® Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil mixed at 100:1 resisted deposits better than RedMax* 2-Stroke Engine Oil mixed at 50:1
- ECHO 100:1 String Trimmer Technical Study – AMSOIL SABER® Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil mixed at 100:1 resisted deposits and maintained power better than ECHO Power Blend XTended Life Universal 2-Stroke Oil mixed at 50:1.
- A Study of LUCAS Semi-Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil in ECHO* String Trimmers – AMSOIL SABER® Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil mixed at 50:1 provided improved resistance to performance-robbing deposits and power loss compared to LUCAS Semi-Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil in ECHO string trimmers
- ECHO String Trimmer Technical Study- AMSOIL SABER® Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil resisted performance-robbing deposits and maintained power and performance in ECHO string trimmers
- 3,469-Mile Case Study in Rotax E-TEC Engine
- AMSOIL P.i. – A Study in Performance- 8-page 4-color brochure detailing performance testing of AMSOIL P.i.
There is even an archive testing page that dates back to the early days of AMSOIL, as anyone who wants proof of product quality and performance can see that AMSOIL is no stranger to product testing and comparisons to the competition.
When we got involved with AMSOIL products back in the year 2000, we were blown away by the amount of information, testing and product information that was available. This helped us to make the no-brainer decision to try AMSOIL products in our 1997 F150 prior to becoming dealers. Once we experienced the products first hand we knew that we had to become involved with this company. There are has been a lot of changes over the last 20 years…Many new introductions of products as well as reformulations to keep up with changing technology. We are more excited than every to represent AMSOIL products and to help others experience the performance and the savings that AMSOIL has to offer.